"Unread" contacs

Sep 5, 2011 at 3:04 PM

4.000 contacts were hosted on SBS 2003, and exported to a PST-file by means of Outlook 2003.  About 2.000 of the contacts were "unread".  All 4.000 contacts were imported into Exchange Online.  The "unread" property was maintained by Exchange, but since Outlook 2010 does not support "unread" contacts, all those contacts that were "unread" are not displayed by Outlook.  The contacts are safe, and they display normally in Outlook Web Access (OWA).

There are no way to mark contacts as "read" either in Outlook 2010 nor in Outlook Web Access.  Furthermore: I have tried to delete all contacts in the shared mailbox, export from SBS 2003 into a CSV-file to shed the "unread" property, and re-importing.  However, probably for reasons of performance, the shared mailbox caches the contacts so when they are re-imported they are re-makred as "unread".

A possible complication is that the contacts are stored in a "shared mailbox" (as per http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/ee441202.aspx).

The question is: How can I mark contacts as "read"?  Outlook does not have the means to interact with Exchnage on this issue (so to speak), and I have searched in the documentation here to no avail. 

Thank you!

Sep 6, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Select all the items in MFCMAPI, right click on them, and pick "Set Read Status". Change the flag to 0x0 (which is Read) and hit OK.

Jul 28, 2014 at 3:06 PM
Where within mfcmapi do you go to find the contacts that are unread so I can then "Mark them as read" and the user can then see the contacts again?