Lost Outlook calendar when using MFCMAPI

Jun 24, 2010 at 6:16 PM

I had a problem with never-ending reminders in Outlook.  The "/CleanReminders" flag didn't do the trick, so I used MFCMAPI according to this post:

For some reason, this resulted in what appears to be a complete loss of my Outlook calendar!  Does that make sense?  Any ideas on whether or not this is a recoverable problem?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Jun 24, 2010 at 7:04 PM

I don’t know exactly which of those steps you followed, but if they involved deleting items from the Reminders folder, then you deleted your appointments. The Reminders folder is just a subset of the calendar. Deleting items from there deletes them from the Calender. Ideally, if you’re going to do that, you only delete the one or two items that were giving you a problem, with the understanding that you’d want to recreate them. It sounds like you may have selected *everything* and deleted it.

If your Calendar is on an Exchange server, you may be able to recover the items by right clicking on the Calendar folder in MFCMAPI and selecting “Open Deleted Contents Table”. If your items are there, you can Copy (Ctrl+C) them, then open the regular view of the Calendar and Paste (Ctrl+P) them.

If your Calendar is in a PST file, I think you’re out of luck.

Jun 24, 2010 at 8:48 PM

Yeah, I think I deleted it all.

I'm surprised that our default configuration at work isn't to have our calendar data backed up.  But it appears that the backed-up versions of my "outlook.pst" file do NOT contain calendar information.  I assumed that I would be able to recover in case things went awry. . . .

Anyway, thanks for the reply.  I'm still not sure why the instructions I found said to delete everything.

P.S.  The good news is that my meeting load for the rest of the year looks amazingly light.  :-)

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:27 PM
Edited Jan 24, 2014 at 10:27 PM
I had this same issue. I have deleted everything, therefore my client has lost his entire calendar. The previous contents are there (from this point and before) but all future appointments have been deleted. How can I get this back? I already tried importing backup profiles, but they are not importing any calendar information. Is there a way to use this program and try to recover the contents. I went through the steps posted above, but I was unable to paste anything into the calendar. More detailed steps or any other assistance would be greatly appreciated, especially since my job is on the line Monday morning when he comes in and all of his appointments are GONE!
Jan 24, 2014 at 11:12 PM
You might try deleted item retention or the Recoverable Items folder in the mailbox on the server.
Jan 24, 2014 at 11:31 PM
sgriffin wrote:
You might try deleted item retention or the Recoverable Items folder in the mailbox on the server.
Can you explain how to do this in detail? I don't have access to the mail server, only to his workstation and the MFCMAPI application, also installed on his workstation. I am still not quite sure how to thoroughly use this program, so I am not sure how to access the deleted items area for it. I really appreciate your help!