Remove Item Level Permissions

Feb 23, 2010 at 1:06 AM

I have a single public folder with 80,000 items in it (yes, please do not ask, it has to be that way). I need to remove item level permissions off of these items. I initially tried using pfdavadmin to achieve this goal, but was unable to as it times out before it can list the items in the folder. Bulk operation fails also with the same "operation timed out" error. I would like to know how to achieve the same goal using MFCMAPI. I noticed the "reset permissions on folder content" option, but am unsure if this is the same as removing item level permissions. Can someone clarify? And if it's not the same thing, how can I achieve the same goal using MFCMAPI? Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Feb 23, 2010 at 2:26 PM

That function removes the property PR_NT_SECURITY_DESCRIPTOR. From your description, this is probably what you want to do. Make sure to open the PF with admin privilages or the whole operation's likely to fail.

Feb 25, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Thanks for your response. I didn't want to just run this without being somewhat sure it would do what I was looking for. It indeed was what I wanted.