"Unread" Contacts in Outlook not appearing

Jul 28, 2014 at 3:08 PM
Hi All,

I have an issue whereby a user has contacts which are stating as "Unread".

The unread contacts are not viewable and I am trying to find the location within mfcmapi where you can highlight the contacts in question and mark them as read.

Can anyone advise where I need to go to do this?

Many Thanks

Dan
Coordinator
Jul 28, 2014 at 4:23 PM
I'm not familiar with this issue. If you've not been able to locate the contacts to mark them unread, then how did you identify that the problem was that the contacts are marked as unread? Did you find some documentation that suggested this?
Jul 28, 2014 at 8:18 PM
Thanks for replying,

Within The outlook client, when the user clicks on the contacts.... in the bottom left hand corner it say items "97" and next to it on the right it says unread "29"... these 29 contacts are not showing when you view the contacts in the reading pane.... Within MFCMAPI i have located the contacts list and found the column where it says Item unread, they are all marked with 0 except the 29 "unread" contacts which are marked 1.... I'm trying to find out where I can edit these entries via MAPI so that they change to 0 (marked as read) and become viewable to the user.... On a previous thread someone mentioned that you can client on the contact within MAPI and marked it as read.... Is this possible or do you know where I can locate the entry field to change them from 1 to 0 within the Item Unread column?

If needed, I can send you a screenshot of what I'm talking about?

Many Thanks
Dan
Coordinator
Jul 28, 2014 at 8:28 PM
You might want to send me a screenshot of Outlook - when I look at my Contacts folder it doesn't say anything about read/unread - it just says the number of items. Be sure to include the entire window in the screenshot. Thanks!

BTW - here's how to set read status in MFCMAPI:
Right click/Advanced/Set read flag
Jul 29, 2014 at 9:35 AM
Thanks,

the right click / Advanced / Set read flag seems to be what I'm after but I seem to have a bigger issue now with these unread contacts... What's the best way to send you some screenshots? is it to email the MFCMAPI@discussions.codeplex.com ?
Thanks
Dan
Coordinator
Jul 29, 2014 at 1:44 PM
You can post the screenshot somewhere and link to it here.
Jul 30, 2014 at 12:54 PM
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qknd70phmdy0ioq/AABj7B1VSuMTMXxJCBc3F_TPa

Please try this link and see if you can get to the document containing screenshots

Thanks

Dan
Coordinator
Jul 30, 2014 at 2:15 PM
The icons on those Contact folders look unusual. In MFCMAPI, when you look at one of those folders, do you see a value for PR_CONTAINER_CLASS and if so what is it?
Jul 31, 2014 at 2:19 PM
I've included a link to another screenshot, is this the field you are asking about:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3349flxia58xct3/PR_Container_Class.docx

Regards
Coordinator
Jul 31, 2014 at 3:02 PM
Yes and no. Right property, but not the same folder you were looking at in the first screenshot. Anyway - were you able to resolve the problem by marking the items read?
Jul 31, 2014 at 3:30 PM
No, I marked the contacts as read which cleared the bold number to the right of the contacts but none of the missing contacts have appeared... Any other thoughts on how we can get the contacts back?
Thanks
Coordinator
Aug 1, 2014 at 5:17 PM
At this point I might suggest opening a support case.
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:01 PM
Thanks for all your help... Who am I able to open a support case with?
Coordinator
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:09 PM