PR_ATTACH_LONG_PATHNAME giving value when email is saved

Jun 20, 2014 at 9:32 AM
Hi Team,

I have saved an attachment in Outlook 2010 connected to Exchange 2003. The PR_ATTACH_LONG_PATHNAME is showing inconsistent value. No value is being show when the email is sent. Either the same value should be there or there shouldn't be any such field when the email is sent. Here is the snapshot - Image
Coordinator
Jun 20, 2014 at 12:38 PM
Your image isn't loading. What was the original filename? What does PR_ATTACH_FILENAME show? What does PR_ATTACH_LONG_FILENAME show? What values were you expecting them to show?
Jun 20, 2014 at 1:39 PM
I use Google Chrome. Right click on the image and click on 'Save image as...', 'Copy image URL', 'Open image in new tab'. Even CodePlex needs improvement. Uhhh Microsoft.

Original filename: extn list.xls
Expected values in case of PR_ATTACH_FILENAME: extn list.xls or extnli~1.xls
Expected values in case of PR_ATTACH_LONG_PATHNAME: The same value when the email is sent
Coordinator
Jun 20, 2014 at 1:48 PM
As on the other thread - is the complaint about the case?
Jun 20, 2014 at 5:18 PM
Any progress?
Coordinator
Jun 20, 2014 at 5:47 PM
Just puzzled why case seems to matter to you.
Jun 23, 2014 at 6:41 AM
This is very simple.

I am using Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2010.

I have composed an email and saved it. Have a look at its PR_ATTACH_LONG_PATHNAME property.

I have sent that email. Now have a look at its PR_ATTACH_LONG_PATHNAME property.

There is a difference. What is the reason for that difference?
Coordinator
Jun 23, 2014 at 1:20 PM
Unless it's breaking something this doesn't seem worth investigating. Just assume that somewhere in transport the case was changed. Assuming this is about case. Which I'm assuming because you refuse to put the data into your complaints, trusting instead that I'll spot what you're talking about when I try it myself.

Also - you're talking about Exchange 2003, which is way beyond support.
Jun 23, 2014 at 3:24 PM
Exchange 2003 is an example. You can try other Exchange also.
"I refuse to put the data..." Data is already there. If you want another snapshot I will upload that also.
Coordinator
Jun 23, 2014 at 3:35 PM
You're making me dig through various picture attachments to try and figure out what values you're having a problem with. I can't even read the values you're concerned with because of how the columns were arranged. Can you please put the data in the thread where it can be read? Also - how am I supposed to compare a before and after on a value when you only have one picture attached to the thread?

I'm trying to help you, but you're going out of your way to be difficult. Please put the strings in the thread and explain what you expected to see.
Jun 24, 2014 at 5:56 AM
Here is the link Image when the email is sent. You can compare before and after value when you yourself do it. This is not very hard.
Coordinator
Jun 24, 2014 at 2:21 PM
So the complaint is (and it's not very hard to spell this out so we don't have to play your guessing games): after delivering the message, the PR_ATTACH_LONG_PATHNAME property is missing/blank.

Why would you expect to see a pathname on a delivered message? The PATHNAME properties are used in creating an attachment, where MAPI and the store provider need to know where on disk to get the data for attachment. Once a mail is in transit and ultimately delivered, the attachment only exists on the message. PATHNAME makes no sense to be set at that point.
Jun 25, 2014 at 4:25 AM
Edited Jun 25, 2014 at 5:10 AM
I feel that the attachment is in the message as soon as it is saved. Because if I attach a file on a message and save it, its PR_ATTACH_LONG_PATHNAME is present. It gives the path where the file is present on the hard disk. I change its location (the file's location, which is attached to the email to be sent) and send the email, then the attachment is delivered. Which means the file was on the message when the email was saved, not when the message is in transit and delivered as you told in your previous reply. Also, it doesn't care about the location of the file.

And even if PR_ATTACH_LONG_PATHNAME is gives value when the email is saved and no value is there when the email is sent, and in no case there should be value of PR_ATTACH_LONG_PATHNAME property when the email is sent then PR_ATTACH_LONG_PATHNAME shouldn't be present on sent items. Like there are some properties of received items which are not present on sent items and vice versa.

I am having some difficulties in understanding concepts about PR_ATTACH_LONG_PATHNAME property.
Coordinator
Jun 25, 2014 at 12:39 PM
PR_ATTACH_LONG_PATHNAME is used as part of the process of attaching the file. After that, whether it's there or not is pretty much undefined. If you're trying to get the long file name of an attachment, you should be using PR_ATTACH_LONG_FILENAME.
Jun 25, 2014 at 1:16 PM
I use PR_DISPLAY_NAME as this value also gives same as PR_ATTACH_LONG_FILENAME and PR_ATTACH_LONG_FILENAME is absent when MSG is an attachment.
Coordinator
Jun 25, 2014 at 1:18 PM
If that works for you, great. For more general code, you should detect the attachment style and pick the property you use accordingly.