PR_ATTACH_FILENAME showing wrong value

Jun 20, 2014 at 9:19 AM
Edited Jun 20, 2014 at 9:27 AM
Hi Team,

I have saved an attachment in Outlook 2010 connected to Exchange 2003. The attachment name (PR_ATTACH_FILENAME) is showing wrong value. Is this a bug with MAPI subsystem? There are so many bugs, where to send the feedback? Here is the snapshot - Image
Jun 20, 2014 at 12:38 PM
Your image isn't loading. What was the original filename? What does PR_ATTACH_FILENAME show? What does PR_ATTACH_LONG_FILENAME show? What values were you expecting them to show?
Jun 20, 2014 at 1:32 PM
I use Google Chrome. Right click on the image and click on 'Save image as...', 'Copy image URL', 'Open image in new tab'. Even CodePlex needs improvement. Uhhh Microsoft.
Jun 20, 2014 at 1:40 PM
Original filename: extn list.xls
Expected values in case of PR_ATTACH_FILENAME: extn list.xls or extnli~1.xls
Expected values in case of PR_ATTACH_LONG_PATHNAME: The same value when the email is sent
Jun 20, 2014 at 1:40 PM
You have yet to demonstrate an actual problem. I looked at the screenshot - you'll need to spell out what you think is wrong about what you're seeing. Please be explicit - give me expected and actual values.
Jun 20, 2014 at 1:41 PM
Its not case sensitive.
Jun 20, 2014 at 1:46 PM
Is the complaint that it's uppercase? I think if you look in the filesystem the 8.3 name was generated uppercase, so this was correct.
Jun 20, 2014 at 1:50 PM
Yes, my complaint was of uppercase.

Don't you feel functions of MAPI should be modified accordingly because PR_ATTACH_LONG_FILENAME is giving it correct values.
Or did you intentionally coded so as to retrieve 8.3 filename?
Jun 20, 2014 at 1:53 PM
They're both correct - PR_ATTACH_LONG_FILENAME gives the long file name, and the other gives the short (8.3).
Jun 20, 2014 at 1:56 PM
Jun 20, 2014 at 5:14 PM
In in the first snapshot PR_ATTACH_FILENAME gives 8.3 filename (here it gives it in small letters - case sensitive)
In the second snapshot, it doesn't give 8.3 filename.
Jun 20, 2014 at 5:47 PM
See my answer there - this isn't a bug. MFCMAPI just reports what was set. File names in Windows are NOT case sensitive. EVER. And different MAPI clients will provide different data as inputs.

You're clearly fascinated by these details- but why? What does it break for you that sometimes an 8.3 name is lowercase and sometimes it's upper case? Why does it matter that some clients provide a long name for PR_ATTACH_FILENAME? What's the impact?
Jun 21, 2014 at 1:45 PM
Edited Jun 21, 2014 at 1:50 PM
Ya, I give importance to details. I am not in testing department. I am in development department and don't even have 2 years of experience. I can make mistakes and so can you. I felt this must be one of them. That's why this thread.

I am developing an application that tells the attachment name and PR_ATTACH_LONG_FILENAME is one attribute that I can rely on most of the times for results. But not all the time.
Jul 9, 2014 at 7:51 AM
Edited Jul 9, 2014 at 7:52 AM also gives solution to this problem.