Recovering IPM.Appointment causes duplicates

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Hello

I've been using recent version of MFCMapi (15.0.0.1030) along with Exchange 2010 SP2 RU3.

In last few days, I had to recover calendar items from user dumpster and it is easier to do it with MFCMapi than using Outlook due to change in structure of Dumpster 2.0 (all folder items show in single dumpster and recover to single folder)

In both cases I used MFCMapi to recover "IPM.Appointment" items from "Recoverable Items" folder under user mailbox, i.e. copying from there to user calendar under top of information store, it created lot of duplicates for each meeting item copied in this fashion.

I am sure it didn't do this with previous releases - Anyone else facing same issue or have any thoughts on what could be causing this, if I am doing something wrong on my side?

Thanks in advance.

Coordinator
Aug 17, 2012 at 1:22 PM

I don't repro any problems with recovering items. Can you give your exact repro steps?

Aug 17, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Issue: User shift deletes or move items into PST file from his/her calendar. The items can be seen in dumpster OR "Recoverable Items" folder within Dumpster.

Steps:

1. Login to user mailbox via MFCMapi

2. Open content table for "Recoverable Items" Folder.

3. Sort by "Item type" i.e. IPM.Appointment.

4. Copy all IPM.Appointment messages.

5. Paste it under "Top of information Store\CalendaR" with "Message Move" checked.

Results: User will see lot of duplicates along with original recovered data.

I am thinking if it has something to do with internal corruption within appointment which was caused due to Single item recoevry and was fixed in Exchange 2010 SP2 RU3?

Coordinator
Aug 17, 2012 at 1:50 PM

In my (very quick) test, using the move flag causes nothing to happen. But if I copy/paste without the move flag, the items are restored as expected.

Aug 20, 2012 at 9:53 PM

I guess I can give it a shot next time I get chance to perform recovery in this fashion. I'll update as I get chance to.

Feb 1, 2013 at 8:19 PM
OPINION:...I think that part of the duplication issue is that the restore outlined above (sort by IPM.APPOINTMENT -- Select ALL -- Copy/Paste) catches all stages of the appointment (from: tentative to accepted and the accept/declines of all participants) along with the same for any changes to date/time/participants/location/etc.
Feb 1, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Edited Feb 1, 2013 at 8:30 PM
the real TRICK is to select the correct item to restore and then get it to "chain" itself back to the original meeting.

When I restore an item deleted by the originator that is still a valid meeting (attendees, room, etc.) back to the originator's calendar, I see the item as TENTATIVE and when opened, you see the "You do not need to accept because you are the originator" message.

Furthermore, when the originator DELETES or CHANGES the message, the deletion/change is not forwarded to the attendee list.

_How do I restore the message -- as originator -- and make it look like it is supposed to? (ACCEPTED and modifiable)?_