MFCMAPI without outlook

Oct 21, 2008 at 9:20 PM
I am trying to run MFCMAPI on a machine that does not have outlook installed.

I have tried installing the stand-alone Mapi and CDO client on the machine...

But all operations end with MAPI_E_CALL_FAILED == 0x80004005

Any thoughts on how I can make MFC mapi work without installing outlook?

Oct 21, 2008 at 9:27 PM
I use MFCMAPI on machines with the MAPI download all the time, no special configuration is necessary. You'll need to provide more details on exactly what you're doing and seeing.
Oct 21, 2008 at 9:42 PM
I am having some issue with some code that i have written, and I am thinking that it is my mapi installation.

I am attempting to validate my installation of the stand alone components by way of assuring MFCMapi works, and thus far I am unable to get MFCMapi to work on a machine without outlook.
The machine that I am on has a copy of MFCMapi and has the standalone mapi and CDO installed. If I select Profile -> Launch Profile Wizard, I get the following and am unable to add a profile.

Code: MAPI_E_CALL_FAILED == 0x80004005
Function ::MAPIInitialize(&mapiInit)
File .\MapiObjects.cpp
Line 107

Since I am unable to create a profile, I am unable to do any actions against the exchange server.

I am not sure if this make a difference, but that machine that I am running this on is Windows 2008 Server x64.

Thanks for taking the time and providing such a quick response!
Oct 21, 2008 at 9:51 PM
Edited Oct 22, 2008 at 1:42 PM

OK – MAPIInitialize failing essentially means the MAPI stub library couldn’t find an implementation of Extended MAPI on the box. How did you install the MAPI download? What’s in c:\Program Files (x86)\ExchangeMapi? What do you have in the registry under HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Clients\Mail?

And perhaps most importantly – is your application 32 bit? There is no 64 bit MAPI.

Oct 21, 2008 at 9:58 PM
I downloaded the Exchange Mapi component from the link above and double clicked the MSI. The installed quickly did some progress bars and messages and then I am told that I have sucessfully install Microsoft Messaging API and Collaboration Data Objects 1.2.1.

I don't have a folder called c:\Program Files (x86)\ExchangeMapi

I also have nothing under HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Clients\Mail. In fact HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Clients does not exist

The MAPI code is compiled for 32-bit.

Oct 21, 2008 at 10:05 PM

Uninstall the MAPI download, then install it again.

Oct 22, 2008 at 3:20 AM
Thanks that solved the problem. Duh. I guess it is s forest for the trees kinda thing.