Hiding Suggested Contact folders in Outlook 2010

Mar 19, 2012 at 8:42 AM

I read on a bug report blog somewhere that you cannot delete the Suggested Contacts folders within Outlook 2010, but an option was to use MFCMAPI to hide the unwanted "Suggested" folders. As I am not using Outlook as an exchange client I cannot log in to OWA and delete the suggested contacts folders on the server as has been the suggestion on many forums to this issue

I have numerous POP3 accounts in Outlook plus a number of different address books in Contacts so it gets very messy with all the extra "Suggested Contacts" folders.

Can someone explain if this is indeed possible and how to do this.

Within outlook I belive the contact folders are attributed to the mail file .pst?? But I am not sure whether to look under the Address book option in MFCMAPI or under the mail file. Indeed I am not sure what the label will be for these various "Suggested" folders.

Any help would be appreciated.

Coordinator
Mar 19, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Have you tried opening your profile in MFCMAPI and looking for the Suggested Contacts folder in the message store?

Mar 19, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Many thanks Stephen,

With your suggestion and another tutorial from Diane Poremsky about deleting the RSS feed folder using MFCMAPI, I was not only able to hide but delete the suggested contacts folders. They did not go immediately but by deleting within MFCMapI when I clicked on the relevant folder it came up with a warning that the content had been deleted and further allowed me to right click on the folder in Outlook and select delete which was previously greyed out.

Before they completely disappeared from the Contacts Folder list when addressing an e-mail I also had to go to the account settings and delete the address books from there. The result is no more suggested contacts. Many thanks for this very useful tool.

Fozzie