Outlook Reminder keeps re-generating

Mar 15, 2012 at 6:41 PM

I have a users Outlook that has a meeting reminder that will not stop creating itself. It is a daily reminder. If I go into her Outlook and try to dismiss it, it will but creates a new one. If I use MFCMapi and log into her mailbox, go to reminders, and double click it I see the message in question. Actually I currently see about 800 of them. I have tried to delete them from there and if I delete them all it comes right back again and re-generates more.

Any Ideas?

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Ok - for starters, it helps to remember that a reminder is not a discrete *thing*, but instead an attribute/flag found on a message or appointment. The reminders folder is just a search folder which has as it's search criteria a restriction for items with this attribute set. When you clear a reminder in Outlook, Outlook is supposed to just modify the underlying message, which has the effect of removing it from the Reminders folder. But if you go into the Reminders folder with MFCMAPI and delete the message, you've just deleted the actual message. I only say all this to help you understand what you're seeing.

What I would try here, presuming that deleting the appointment is acceptable: In Outlook, go to the Calendar and change the View to a List View. Knowing the name of the meeting, sort by Subject and see what's there with that name. Then go to the Deleted Items folder and empty it. Hopefully that will be enough to kill the meeting for good. If it continues to come back, then you need to look for something outside of Outlook that would be creating it, such as a mobile device (iPhone, Blackberry, Windows Phone) or a connector like the Hotmail connector.

Mar 16, 2012 at 11:01 PM

SGriffin. Thanks for the response and the clarification of what is really happening here. I did try the removal of the meeting by using the list view and it still did not help. We currently are using BB's and I have turned off her mail synchronization to her handheld and you can still literally watch the items populate 1 by 1. I was going to open a support case with MS but I am waiting for our support to be renewed so thats why I looked to the Net. Thanks for the help. 

Mar 19, 2012 at 12:47 PM

What I'd try next is to log on to the folder with MFCMAPI, close Outlook, and watch to see if the items still populate 1 by 1. If they do, then we've removed Outlook from the picture - it has to be some other client adding them.

Mar 21, 2012 at 9:00 PM

It was still populating doing what you said above. I basically had to delete her phone from BES and everything worked like normal. So I added her bac to BES and we are good to go! Thanks for your help.