Error code 0x80004002

Feb 7, 2011 at 1:58 PM

I'm trying to use MFCMAPI to delete hidden messages which are continuously being sent by Outlook 2003 on an XP platform but get this message :

Error: Store does not support the IExchangeManageStore interface
Code: MAPI_E_INTERFACE_NOT_SUPPORTED == 0x80004002
Function lpMDB->QueryInterface( IID_IExchangeManageStore, (void **) &lpIManageStore)
File .\MAPIStoreFunctions.cpp
Line 850

when I try to open the defaultn message store.

Can anyone help, please?

Coordinator
Feb 7, 2011 at 2:02 PM

What steps are you doing in the UI?

Feb 7, 2011 at 3:27 PM
sgriffin wrote:

What steps are you doing in the UI?

Session -> Logon and Display Store -> (select Outlook profile) -> MDB then  the error mesage comes

Feb 7, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Sorry, should have said the error message comes after selecting Open Default Message Store in MDB

Coordinator
Feb 7, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Why not just double-click the mailbox in the list that populates after you logon?

Feb 7, 2011 at 4:41 PM

That leads to a file called Root Container, and I don't know what to do next. Sorry to be thick!

Coordinator
Feb 7, 2011 at 4:44 PM

There should be a + sign next to it which you can expand to see your mailbox.

Feb 7, 2011 at 5:08 PM

There is, and if I right click on Outbox I get "Open Contents Table" but it is empty. Perhaps I'm chasing the wrong thing?

Coordinator
Feb 7, 2011 at 5:12 PM

I'd confirm that when you open Inbox it has the items you expect to see there, else you're looking at the wrong message store. Barring that, it sounds like you're trying to fix the wrong root cause for whatever issue you're facing.

Feb 7, 2011 at 5:34 PM

The inbox is what I expect. I guess I'm trying to fix the wrong problem; the main symptom is that the Outlook Send/Receive dialogue box tells me it is trying to send a couple of messages throughout the session. It did this a bit ago and MFCMAPI found receipt messages which had somehow become trapped, and I thought it would be the same again. How can I diagnose what's happening this time, do you know?

Coordinator
Feb 7, 2011 at 5:37 PM

The Outbox is a bit of a fiction. You don't have to use it to send a message (not from MAPI anyway). So it's possible these "stuck" messages actually live somewhere else in the mailbox. If the dialog gives you any hint what the messages are, you could try searching the mailbox to see if you can find them.

Feb 7, 2011 at 5:59 PM

No, unfortunately the dialogue gives me no hint. It sends new messages (usually) and receives OK, but then churns away trying to send whatever it is, eventually coming up with the message "Sending reported error (0x80042108) "The operation timed out waiting a response from the sending (SMTP) server" "